Sunday, July 19, 2009

Recycled Art

I don't paint or make art often, but I decided to give it a shot a few weeks ago. After painting on the canvas, I glued on antique watch parts from the late 1800's and early 1900's that I purchased from Steampunk Supply on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=66171060) along with broken glass that I found on a sidewalk. This mixed media piece is titled "Implosion" because my intention was for it to give an impression of falling inward. The watch parts represent fragmented memories and a bygone era when things were made to last.

This is just an example of the many things people can make using recycled materials. Even if you don't make art often, it's still worth trying it out. Making your own things can really lead to feelings of accomplishment. The process of making "Implosion" was meaningful for me, and it inspired me to make plans to upcycle a purse and mask over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment